Glen Mhor 29th July 1978 Caley versus Glasgow Rangers

Transport yourself back to a summer day in Muirtown, at Telford Street Park, where Caley played at home against Glasgow Rangers. Alex captured the moment with his Kodak Instamatic camera, forever preserving the setting.

Although the final score was 6-3 to the 'Gers, these images offer a unique perspective of the distillery and the social setting of the football ground and distillery, in the heart of the Muirtown community.

A.I. technology was used to enhance the match images while remaining true to the source and other photographs in this article. These photos offer a distinct viewpoint of the distillery, also known as the 'distillery end'. They provide interesting topics for discussion as does the use of A.I. in general, but in this case, if they can enhance the image without reinventing it, then it is an option worth exploring and then considering the outcomes.  

The initial change that is apparent is the alteration in warehouse signage. The previous writing can be observed on warehouses five, six and seven in previous football-related photographsHowever, warehouse number seven now displays the new Glen Mhor Distillery sign, reflecting the distillery's acquisition by D.C.L. in 1972 for Highland blending stock. There is no need to promote a single malt or independent ownership, which you'd expect to see by 1978.

The three warehouses were initially painted white to enhance any writing and maximise advertising impact. Although they have since been scrubbed down, the end of the trio is still used to display the name. This highlights how D.C.L. ceased the production of single malts from Glen Mhor and instead used its products for blending stock. The signs follow this new reality. It is possible that some of the casks you have enjoyed, or at least I have, were stored in these warehouses and partially matured to the sound of football chants.

From the football photographs we know that the signage was unchanged until February 1974 at the earliest, almost 2 years after D.C.L. acquired the distillery. Although the decision to end the official single malt range was swift and came into effect in January 1973, the exterior we see in the previously linked image confirms that the signs were changed immediately. I suspect this was one of the jobs for the team during the silent season, perhaps explaining the less than stellar look we see here in 1978.

There's also the prospect from a handful of football images from the early 1980s that the signage was changed once again and back to warehouses six and seven. Here's an A.I. enhanced image from the 1980s, which shows the signage has been removed. I suspect that his comes from the period of closure and prior to demolition as the football ground lived on beyond the lifespan of Glen Mhor. 

However, let us return to the original setting of 1978 and examine another photograph of the football match that highlights something in the distance that is worth exploring further, in the top right corner, at the end of the distillery.

In the distance, a larger, more modern warehouse looms ominously. This is one of two warehouses that were added to the southern edge of the distillery website during the early 1960s. The entrance to the premises was inconveniently located in front of a warehouse, making it difficult to access.

We have previously researched these large warehouses in a dedicated article. The warehouse capacity was increased by approximately 285,000 gallons upon their arrival. Prior to this research, their existence was relatively unknown as they only existed for a period of three decades. 

Their arrival came shortly after a partial influx of cash when D.C.L. purchased a stake in Mackinlay & Birnie, prompting a series of improvements - perhaps long overdue - at the distilleries. 

My thanks to Alex for allowing me to share these images.